If you haven’t worked at Wimbledon yourself, you’ll almost certainly have a friend or know someone who has.
Each year thousands of students spend two weeks working at the Championships.
The roles are well paid, an amazing opportunity to make new friends, get an unbelievable (t-shirt) tan, and see some of the best tennis around – for me I couldn’t of had a better summer job.
I worked at Wimbledon as a court attendant for four years. My role involved insuring that my t-shirt tan didn’t get too awful, letting my blonde hair turn bleach white in the sunshine, spending two weeks with a fantastic team, holding an umbrella over Federer when he got too hot….oh and every now and then cover a court when it decided to rain.
Officially this was my role:
- Ensure courts are covered and uncovered as directed.
- Work closely with the ground staff crew, helping them prepare the courts if required.
- Be ready at court side at all times to undertake duties.
- Provide towels and ice to the court for player’s use.
- Maintain the court side and surroundings litter free and presentable.
- Assist housekeeping teams to clean areas associated with court at the end of play.
- Maintain associated facilities / rest areas in a clean state.
- Be courteous and helpful to players, umpires and associated officials
The requirements of this position included:
- Taking instruction from management.
- Working as part of a team.
- Being punctual and presentable.
- Being able to fulfil physical nature of role
Those employed in this position:
- Maintain the highest standard of personal presentation.
- Have good communication and listening skills.
- Be enthusiastic and encouraging.
- Work well under pressure.
- Work hard and effectively.
For anyone thinking of applying for this job – do! For me it really was the best summer job any student could ever want. Wandering around Wimbledon with all the players before any spectators arrive was definitely a highlight. When a daily ‘morning!’ to Djokovic becomes your usual routine it really is a very special event to become part of.
Apply here for next years Championship: www.compasseventjobs.com
Any questions on how to be a Wimbledon Court Attendant ask below!
It really is the best summer job.